Piwigo 2.4, behind the scene
Piwigo 2.4 is a
major huge version. On the official release note you’ll learn how many changes are introduced. What you don’t know is who made this release possible. Let’s summarize:
- rvelices: multiple size engine, watermark, navigation links on photo, center of interest
- P@t: mobile theme
- mistic100: change username, email notification on user registration, sort user comments, new design for photos sort order, unified messages management, hotlinks compatibility
- Zaphod (new team member): new default theme Elegant
- flop25: technical documentation on multiple size, nice videos that you can see on Piwigo 2.4 release notes
- plg (that’s me): various changes in administration, configuration for multiple size and watermark, new design on albums administration
- plg and mistic100 have worked together on improvements in the Batch Manager and the new design on photo administration screen
- ddtddt: managed to add 3 new languages thanks to new translators for Esperanto, Finnish and Cambodian. Piwigo is now available in 47 languages! Many languages are now much more complete and updated with strings introduced in Piwigo 2.4. Great work from the translation team!
This version took 8 months to come instead of 6 as planned. The 2 extra months are mainly due to a lack of available time and difficulties on the migration from 2.3. As I wrote earlier, 2.4 is a huge version and the multiple size engine changes important things like the organization of photo files. Now that Piwigo 2.4 is out, we immediatly see how important the graphics library has become (any tiny issue blocks all sizes generation).
I’m confident that multiple size is a huge improvement for Piwigo and when rvelices first described me what he was working on in december 2011, I was really excited! The mobile theme is also a very important feature, a big step for Piwigo, which is now much more “mobile phone compliant”. The new default theme, Elegant, designed by Zaphod (already author of the popular theme Stripped) is also an important change, 3 years after theme Sylvia (the pink trees and black background theme). Even if it can’t be considered as new features, the improvements on user experience highly matter to make Piwigo easy to use. Better user experience will directly improve Piwigo popularity.
Enjoy Piwigo 2.4 and congratulations to all coders, translators, video creator, support and beta testers!