Piwigo 2.1, many new features
Piwigo 2.1 is now available and it brings many new features and improvements. My personnal main goal was to start the big “improve usability” project. And I’m proud of the result! …of course I’m not the only one who worked on Piwigo 2.1 coding, and I’m proud of the whole result.
We took the time to make the 2.1.0 release notes more sexy attractive, with shorter texts and many screenshots.
Here is a list of usability improvements:
- when you have finished the installation, you get a big message “there are no photo yet, would you like to add photos?” that brings you to the new web uploader
- add your photos from your web browser, select multiple photos at once, create a category on the fly, set the “who can see these photos?” at upload time, progress bar
- we have added a “clear colors” theme in the administration, because we have received many feedbacks about the difficulty to read on a dark background. You can switch from dark to clear colors in a single click
- install themes directly from piwigo.org (with preview before install), activate or set as default
- new administration header with quick links
- new organization in administration menu
- redesigned layout for the plugin manager
- new widget to add tags on a photo (and create them on the fly)
- drag & drop to sort photos
A special note about translations: Piwigo 2.1.0 is directly available in 23 languages. This is the result of great work made by Piwigo translation manager ddtddt and the numerous translators like samli (Hungarian), Winson Qiu (Chinese), eliotpoon (Chinese), el ninjo (German), Duke (German), kiddy-admin (Russian), nadusha (Russian) Eugene ie (Russian), Haribda (Macedonian), Mitsuhiro Yoshida (Japanese), irohaproject (Japanese), Ericnet (Italian), rio (Italian), nile (Danish), jpr928 (Spanish), voyteckst (Polish), yeckass (Turkish), Em Ku (Vietnamese), Darko (Serbian), tosca (French/English) , Kees Hessels (Dutch), terwolde (Dutch), strotti (Romanian), alberto.paulin (Argentinian), pab (Czech), webprostor hosting (Czech)
At coding level, I would also like to congratulate P@t (new theme architecture, automatic upgrade, new customization options, language manager, plugin installer redesign, Luciano Amodio theme), nicolas (SQLite/PostgreSQL compatibility, sort photos with drag’n drop, jQuery upgrades), grum (new tabs design in the administration, gally themes, advanced metadata manager…), rvelices (improved related tags browsing) and Laurent Duretz (link to homepage in current navigation path).